Friends of Glenariffe is a community organisation established to manage the design, build and running of a new ‘fit for purpose,’ fully inclusive, accessible community facility for Glenariffe and the wider Glens community. The new Glenariffe Community and Recreation Centre will transform a currently underused space, bring communities together and encourage healthier lifestyles for all.
We are committed to ensuring that local children, young people, the elderly, adults and people with disabilities can avail of healthy and productive recreational, educational, social and community development opportunities in a safe, accessible and fully inclusive environment.
Friends of Glenariffe is a charity and staffed entirely by volunteers. We became a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2011. We have a Management Committee of 15, a Fundraising Team of 12 and a Board of Trustees. We are also regularly supported by a fantastic team of over 50 local volunteers who generously give their time, skills and hard labour to ensure that our fundraising events and activities are delivered safely, efficiently and successfully.
Our Charity purpose is to promote the benefit of the inhabitants of Glenariffe and its environs without distinction of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, ethnicity, or political, religious or other opinion by associating with voluntary and community organisations, statutory organisations and inhabitants in a common effort to:
- Provide facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation and other leisure time occupations with the object of improving the conditions of life for residents;
- Promote cultural and arts activities;
- Advance community development by providing facilities and amenities for community and voluntary groups and organisations;
- Advance education and training.
- To increase social inclusion by transforming a currently underused space into a facility which will cater to the needs of the whole local community.
- To build the capacity of the local community through the provision of an accessible and inclusive local space and place.
- To promote a healthier and more active lifestyle for local children, young people, adults, the elderly and those with disabilities.
- To promote and actively seek partnership working opportunities which facilitate links with community groups, support organisations and statutory agencies to better connect local people and communities.
- To support local economic regeneration through enhanced service delivery and opportunities generated by the new facility.
Board of Trustees
Myra Murray (Chair), Sheila Burns (Treasurer) Niall Wheeler, Padraig McIlwaine, Margaret McIlwaine, Fern Major, Stephen Kelly, John McIntosh.
Charity No: XT29858 NI Charity Registration 102467 Company Registration No: NI 606288